8) Install transfer output flange (1) by tapping with
plastic hammer and tighten transfer output flange nut
gradually so as rotational torque of bevel pinion to be
in specified value.
• If rotational torque of bevel pinion exceeds
specification given in the following,
replace pinion shaft spacers and tighten
• Before taking measurement of rotational
torque, rotate pinion over ten rounds in
Bevel pinion bearing preload
: 0.5 – 1.3 N⋅m (0.05 – 0.13 kgf-m, 0.35 – 0.95 lb-ft)
2. Torque wrench
9) Caulk transfer output flange nut (1).
Transfer Assembly Inspection
• Check each bearing for smooth rotation, wear or
If found abnormal, replace.
• Check oil seal for leakage and its lip for excessive
If either is found, replace.
• Check transfer case for cracks.
• Check bevel pinion and bevel gears for wear or
Bevel Gear Tooth Contact Inspection
1) After cleaning tooth surface of bevel gear (1), paint
them with gear marking compound evenly by using
brush or sponge etc.
When applying red lead paste to teeth, be
sure to paint tooth surfaces uniformly. The
paste must not be too dry or too fluid.
2) Install transfer output retainer assembly referring to
"Transfer Assembly Disassembly and Reassembly".
3) Turn transfer output flange clockwise and
counterclockwise repeatedly, and remove transfer
output retainer assembly and bevel gear shims from