1C-9 Engine Electrical Devices:
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Inspection
• Check that O-ring is free from damage.
• Check that end face of sensor and signal rotor tooth
are free from any metal particles and damage.
1) Remove metal particles on end face of CMP sensor,
2) Arrange 12 V battery (1) and connect its positive
terminal to "Vin" terminal (2) and negative terminal to
"Ground" terminal (3) of sensor. Then using
ohmmeter, measure resistance between "Vout"
terminal (4) of sensor and negative terminal of
battery by passing magnetic substance (iron) (5)
while keeping approximately 1 mm (0.03 in.) gap
with respect to end face of CMP sensor.
If resistance does not vary as specified below,
replace CMP sensor.
CMP sensor resistance
Resistance varies from less than 220 Ω (ON) to
infinity (OFF) or from infinity (OFF) to less than 220
[A]: Non-VVT model
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Removal and
1) Disconnect negative cable at battery.
2) Remove generator drive belt, loosen pivot bolt and
move generator rearward.
3) Disconnect connector from crankshaft position
4) Remove crankshaft position sensor (1) from cylinder
[B]: VVT model