5A-20 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle:
Also check the following items at engine start, if possible.
• Malfunction indicator lamp ----- Operation
• Transmission warning light ----- Operation
• Charge warning lamp ----- Operation
• Engine oil pressure warning lamp ----- Operation
• Engine coolant temp. meter ----- Operation
• Other parts that can be checked visually
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Check
Refer to the same item in "Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Check in Section 1A" for checking procedure.
Transmission Warning Light Check (Non-Euro-OBD model)
1) Turn ignition switch ON.
2) Check that transmission warning light lights for about 2 – 4 sec. and then goes OFF.
If anything faulty is found, advance "Transmission Warning Light Circuit Check – Light Does Not Come "ON" at
Ignition Switch ON (Non-Euro-OBD Model)" or "Transmission Warning Light Circuit Check – Light Remains "ON"
at Ignition Switch ON (Non-Euro-OBD Model)".
• There are two types of OBD system depending on the vehicle specification. For identification, refer
to "Precaution on On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System in Section 1A".
• For non-Euro-OBD model, some of DTC No. with (*) mark in the following table can not be detected
by TCM depending on vehicle specification and local regulation.
• With the CAN communication OBD generic scan tool, DTC No. with delta ( ) mark in the following
table can not be read.
• A: Driving cycles when MIL lighting and storing DTC in TCM memory for Euro OBD model.
• B: Driving cycles when transmission warning light lighting and storing DTC in TCM memory for non-
• 1 driving cycle: MIL or transmission warning light lights up when DTC is detected during 1 driving
• 2 driving cycles: MIL or transmission warning light lights up when the same DTC is detected also in
the next driving cycle after DTC is detected and stored temporarily in the first driving cycle.
• Driving cycle with (*): MIL or transmission warning light does not light up but TCM detects and
"Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Check"
"Transmission Warning Light Check (Non-Euro-
"Generator Symptom Diagnosis in Section 1J"
"Oil Pressure Warning Light Symptom Diagnosis in
"Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Meter
Symptom Diagnosis in Section 9C"