5A-2 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle:
• Keep component parts in group for each
subassembly and avoid mixing them up.
• Clean all parts with cleaning solvent
thoroughly and air dry them.
• Use kerosene or automatic transaxle fluid
as cleaning solvent.
• Do not use wiping cloths or rags to clean
or dry parts.
• All oil passages should be blown out and
checked to make sure that they are not
• Keep face and eyes away from solvent
spray while air blowing parts.
• Check mating surface for irregularities and
remove them, if any, and clean it again.
• Soak new clutch discs and brake discs in
transaxle fluid for at least 2 hours before
• Replace all gaskets and O-ring with new
• Apply automatic transaxle fluid to all O-
• When installing seal ring, be careful so that
it is not expanded excessively, extruded or
• Replace oil seals that are removed and
apply grease to their lips.
• Before installing, be sure to apply
automatic transaxle fluid to sliding, rolling
and thrusting surface of all component
part. Also after installation, make sure to
check each part for proper operation.
• Always use torque wrench when
• A new discs should be soaked in ATF at least 2 hours
Part Inspection and Correction Table
Small flaw, burr
Deep or grooved
Flaw on installing
Unsmooth rotation Replace.
Streak, pitting, flaw,
Flaw, burr, wear,
Oil seal, gasket Flawed or
hardened seal ring
Worn seal ring on
its periphery or side
Piston seal ring, oil
seal, gasket, etc.
Worn gear tooth
Burr, flaw, torsion
Settling, sign of
Remove with oil
Clean with air or
Remove with oil
stone or replace
Correct with oil
stone or replace.