Oil control valve check
Check oil control valve referring to "Oil Control Valve
Inspection (For Engine with VVT) in Section 1D".
Is resistance within specified value?
DTC P0011 / P0012: Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance / Retarded
(for engine with VVT system)
Actual value of advanced valve timing does not reach target value.
Valve timing is advanced although ECM command is most retarding.
DTC Detecting Condition and Trouble Area
DTC detecting condition
Actual value of advanced valve timing does not reach
target value, or valve timing is advanced although ECM
command is most retarding.
(2 driving cycle detection logic)
DTC Confirmation Procedure
• When performing a road test, select a place where there is no traffic or possibility of a traffic
accident and be very careful during testing to avoid occurrence of an accident.
• Road test should be carried out by 2 persons, a driver and tester, on a level road.
Check to make sure that the following conditions are satisfied when using this "DTC Confirmation
• Altitude (barometric pressure): 2500 m, 8200 ft or less (560 mmHg, 74.4 kPa or more)
1) Clear DTC. Refer to "DTC Clearance".
2) Start engine and drive vehicle under usual driving condition for 5 minutes or longer until engine is warmed up to
normal operating temperature.
3) Stop vehicle.
4) Run engine at idle speed for 1 minute.
5) Start vehicle and increase vehicle speed up to 120 km/h (70 mile/h).
6) Keep vehicle speed at 120 km/h (70 mile/h) for 1 minute or longer at 5th gear position or D range.
7) Decrease vehicle speed gradually.
8) Stop vehicle and turn OFF ignition switch.
9) Repeat Step 4) to 7) one time.
10) Stop vehicle.
11) Check DTC. Refer to "DTC Check".
Engine General Information and Diagnosis:
Substitute a known-
good ECM and recheck.
• Oil control valve
• Oil galleries of timing sprocket
• Intake camshaft timing sprocket (Camshaft position
control (VVT) actuator)
• Oil control valve circuit
Faulty oil control valve.