1) Install plunger (1), new O-ring (6), washer (4), spring
washers (5) and spring (2) as shown.
Do not wipe off grease previously applied to
2) Apply sealant to rack damper screw (3) and tighten
them as follows.
a) Tighten damper screw to 25 N⋅m (2.5 kgf-m, 18.0
b) Loosen damper screw until 180°.
c) Retighten damper screw to 3.9 N⋅m (0.39 kgf-m,
d) After tightening rack damper screw to specified
torque, turn it back by 10° or less.
"A": Water tight sealant 99000–31250
(SUZUKI Bond No.1207F)
Rack damper screw (a): Tighten 25 N⋅m (2.5
kgf-m, 18.0 lb-ft) and loosen 180° and then
tighten 3.9 N⋅m (0.39 kgf-m, 3.0 lb-ft) and turn
it back by 10° or less by the specified
3) Pinion rotation torque should be checked with rack
Also, check if rack as a whole moves smoothly.
Rotation torque of pinion (a): 2.2 N·m (0.22 kgf-
m, 1.5 lb-ft)
4) After adjustment, tighten lock nut to specified torque
with holding damper screw at the position.
Steering rack damper lock nut: 60 N·m (6.0 kgf-
m, 43.5 lb-ft)
Steering Rack Plunger Inspection
Do not wipe off grease applied to rack
plunger which is removed.
• Inspect rack plunger (1) for wear or damage.
• Inspect rack plunger spring (2) for deterioration.
If any abnormality is found, replace.
P/S Control Module Removal and Installation
1) Disconnect negative cable at battery.
2) Remove console box.
3) Disconnect connectors (1) from P/S control module.
4) Remove P/S control module and bracket (2) from
5) Separate P/S control module and bracket.
Reverse removal procedure.
Power Assisted Steering System: