1I-7 Starting System:
Inspect brush springs for wear, damage or other
abnormal conditions. Replace if necessary.
Brush spring tension
Standard: 2.2 kg (4.85 lb)
Limit: 0.6 kg (1.33 lb)
• Check movement of brush in brush holder. If brush
movement within brush holder is sluggish, check
brush holder for distortion and sliding faces for
Clean or correct as necessary.
• Check for continuity across insulated brush (positive
side) and grounded brush (negative side).
If continuity exists, brush holder is grounded due to
defective insulation and should be replaced.
• Inspect commutator for dirt or burn. Correct with
sandpaper or lathe, if necessary.
1. Sandpaper of #300 – 400
• Check commutator for uneven wear with armature (1)
supported on V-blocks (2). If deflection of dial gauge
(4) pointer exceeds limit, repair or replace.
The following specification presupposes that
the armature is free from bend. Bent
armature must be replaced.
Commutator out of round
Standard: 0.05 mm (0.002 in.) or less
Limit: 0.4 mm (0.016 in.)
• Inspect the commutator for wear. If diameter is below
limit, replace the armature.
Commutator outside diameter
Standard: 29.4 mm (1.16 in.)
Limit: 28.8 mm (1.14 in.)
3. Magnetic stand