Air Conditioning System
A/C System Caution
The A/C system of this vehicle uses HFC-134a (R-134a) refrigerant, specified compressor oil and
Do not use CFC-12 (R-12) refrigerant, R-12 exclusive use compressor oil and R-12 exclusive parts in
this A/C system, do not attempt to use R-12 servicing equipment. Otherwise, use of it will result in
leakage of refrigerant, damage or other faulty condition of A/C system and damage or other faulty
condition of servicing equipment.
When replenishing or changing refrigerant and compressor oil and when replacing parts, make sure
that the material or the part to be used is appropriate to the A/C installed in the vehicle being serviced.
Use of incorrect one will result in leakage of refrigerant, damage in parts or other faulty condition.
Precautions on Servicing A/C System
Should refrigerant HFC-134a (R-134a) is exposed to your eye(s), consult a doctor immediately.
• Do not reuse your hand to rub affected eye(s). Instead, use fresh cold water to splash it over
affected area to thus gradually raise its temperature above the freezing point.
• Obtain proper treatment as soon as possible from a doctor or eye specialist. Should liquid
refrigerant HFC-134a (R-134a) is exposed to your skin, such affected part should be treated in the
same manner as when skin is frostbitten or frozen.
Handling Refrigerant HFC-134a (R-134a)
• Always wear goggles to protect your eyes.
• Avoid direct contact to liquid refrigerant.
• Do not heat refrigerant container higher than 40 °C (104 °F).
• Do not discharge refrigerant into atmosphere.
• Do not expose bright metals to liquid refrigerant. Refrigerant combined with moisture is corrosive and tarnishes
surfaces of bright metals including chrome.
• Never use heat for bending pipes. When bending a pipe, try to make its bending angle as smooth as possible.
• Keep internal parts of air conditioning free from moisture and dirt. When disconnecting any line from system, install
a blind plug or cap to the fitting immediately.
• When handling recovery and recycling equipment, be sure to follow the instruction manual for the equipment.
• Check local governmental regulations regarding working with refrigerator systems and its tooling.
• When connecting hoses and pipes, apply a few drops of compressor oil (refrigerant oil) to O-ring.
• Replace O-ring with new one once hoses, pipes and parts disconnected.
• When tightening or loosening a fitting, use two wrenches, one for turning and the other for support.
• Route drain hose so that drained water does not make any contact to vehicle components.
• If pipes or hoses are replaced, replenish specified amount of compressor oil to compressor suction side referring to
"Replenishing Compressor Oil" in "Operation Procedure for Refrigerant Charge: Manual Type".
Air Conditioning System: Manual Type 7B-1