4) Install steering column upper cover (1) and lower
When installing covers, be careful so that
each lead wire is not caught between covers.
Otherwise, each lead wire is damaged.
3. Standard screw
5) Install steering wheel to steering column. Refer to
"Steering Wheel Removal and Installation".
6) Connect negative (–) cable to battery.
7) Enable air bag system referring to "Enabling Air Bag
System in Section 8B".
Centering Contact Coil Cable Assembly
1) Check that vehicle's wheels (front tires) are set at
2) Check that ignition switch is at LOCK position.
3) Turn contact coil counterclockwise slowly with a light
force till contact coil will not turn any further.
Contact coil can turn about 5 turns at the
maximum, that is, if it is at the center
position, can turn about two and a half turns
both clockwise and counterclockwise.
4. Tapping screw
Steering Wheel and Column:
4) From the position where contact coil became unable
to turn any further (it stopped), turn it back clockwise
about two and a half rotations and align center mark
with alignment mark (1).
Contact Coil Cable Assembly Inspection
Refer to "Contact Coil Cable and Its Circuit Check in
Steering Angle Sensor Removal and Installation
1) Remove steering wheel and contact coil cable
assembly. Refer to "Steering Wheel Removal and
Installation" and "Contact Coil Cable Assembly
Removal and Installation".
2) Remove steering angle sensor (2) from contact coil
cable assembly (3) while opening fitting parts (1) of
contact coil cable assembly.