5A-126 Automatic Transmission/Transaxle:
2) Blow compressed air (400 – 800 kPa, 4 – 8 kg/cm
57 – 113 psi) through oil hole (1) of transaxle rear
cover with the special tool attached on the upper
surface of forward clutch retaining plate, and
measure forward clutch piston stroke.
If piston stroke exceeds specified value,
disassemble, inspect and replace inner parts.
Forward clutch piston stroke
1.30 – 1.50 mm (0.051 – 0.059 in.)
Forward and Reverse Clutch Assembly
Disassembly and Reassembly
When clutch disc, retaining plate and/or
separator plate of forward clutch have been
replaced, all learned contents, which have
been stored in TCM memory by executing
learning control, should be initialized
referring to "Learning Control Initialization".
Neglecting this initialization may cause
excessive shift shock.
1) Remove reverse clutch plate snap ring (1) and take
out reverse clutch retaining plate, discs, separator
plates and clutch cushion plate from intermediate
2) Remove forward clutch plate snap ring (1) and take
out forward clutch retaining plate, discs and
separator plates from forward clutch drum.
3) Remove balancer snap ring by using special tool and
Do not press forward clutch return spring
subassembly in over 1.5 mm (0.059 in.).
Excessive compression may cause damage
to return spring subassembly and/or
4) Remove forward clutch balancer (1).
5) Remove forward clutch return spring subassembly
2. Intermediate shaft subassembly