Rear Drive Shaft Assembly Removal and
1) Hoist vehicle and remove rear wheel.
2) Undo caulking of drive shaft nut (1) and then remove
drive shaft nut with pull up parking brake lever.
3) Remove rear drive shaft flange nuts (1), and then
remove rear drive shaft.
Install drive shaft assembly by reversing removal
procedure and noting the following points.
• Protect boots from any damage,
preventing them from unnecessary contact
while installing drive shaft.
• Do not hit joint boot with hammer.
Inserting joint only by hands is allowed.
• Tighten each nuts to specified torque referring to
"Rear Drive Shaft Components: Rear".
Rear Drive Shaft Disassembly and Reassembly
Refer to "Front Drive Shaft Disassembly and
Reassembly: Front" note the following point which is
different from the front drive shaft is described.
• Remove differential side boot big band and small
Drive Shaft / Axle: Rear 3A-16
band as follows.
– For boot big band (and small band) without joint [A]:
Remove boot big band (and small band) by tapping
boot and band with plastic hammer. If it is hard to
remove boot big band (and small band), cut it using
a nipper or an iron saw with care not to damage
– For boot big band (and small band) with joint [B]:
Draw hooks of boot big band (and small band)
together and remove band.