3A-3 Drive Shaft / Axle: Front
Front Drive Shaft Assembly On-Vehicle
• Check boots for breakage or deterioration.
• Check wheel side joint for rattle or smooth rotation.
• Check differential side (or center shaft side) joint for
If any abnormality is found, replace.
Front Drive Shaft Assembly Removal and
1) Hoist vehicle and remove front wheel.
2) Undo caulking and remove drive shaft nut (1) with
brake pedal depressed.
3) Drain transaxle oil and transfer oil (4WD model).
4) Disconnect tie-rod end (1) from steering knuckle (2)
using puller (3).
5) Remove brake hose mounting bolt (1) and brake
hose (2) from bracket and then detach wheel speed
sensor harness (3) from strut bracket.
6) Remove suspension control arm ball joint bolt (4)
7) Disconnect front suspension control arm ball joint
stud from steering knuckle.
8) Using tire lever (1) or plastic hammer (3), pull out
drive shaft joint (2) so as to release snap ring fitting
of joint spline at differential side, at center shaft or at
[A]: Left side shaft
[B]: Right side shaft of 2WD vehicle
[C]: Right side shaft of 4WD vehicle