1F-10 Engine Cooling System:
Water Pump / Generator Drive Belt Tension
Inspection and Adjustment
• Disconnect negative cable at battery
before checking and adjusting belt
• To help avoid danger of being burned, do
not remove radiator cap while engine and
radiator are still hot. Scalding fluid and
steam can be blown out under pressure if
cap is taken off too soon.
1) Inspect belt for cracks, cuts, deformation, wear and
cleanliness. If it is necessary to replace belt, refer to
"Water Pump / Generator Drive Belt Removal and
2) Check belt for tension. Belt is in proper tension when
it deflects the following specification under thumb
pressure (about 100 N (10kgf, 22 lbs.).
If belt tension is out of specification, go to next steps.
Water pump / generator drive belt tension
"a": 4.5 – 5.5 mm (0.18 – 0.22 in.) as deflection /
100 N (10kgf, 22lbs)
When replacing belt with a new one, adjust
belt tension to 4.0 – 4.5 mm (0.16 – 0.18 in.).
3) After loosening generator bracket bolts (2) and pivot
bolt (3), adjust belt tension to specification described
at step 2) by loosening / tightening generator adjust
4) Tighten generator bracket bolts and pivot bolt as
Generator bracket bolt (a): 25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m,
Generator pivot bolt (b): 50 N·m (5.0 kgf-m, 36.0
5) Check belt tension for specification after turning
crankshaft two rotations clockwise.
6) Tighten generator adjusting bolt (1) as specified
Generator adjusting bolt (c): Tighten 7.0 N⋅m
(0.7 kgf-m, 5.0 lb-ft) by the specified procedure.
7) Connect negative cable at battery.
Water Pump / Generator Drive Belt Removal and
1) Disconnect negative cable at battery.
2) If vehicle equipped with A/C, remove compressor
drive belt before removing water pump belt (1).
Refer to "Compressor Drive Belt Removal and
Installation: Manual Type in Section 7B" or
"Compressor Drive Belt Removal and Installation:
Automatic Type in Section 7B".
3) Loosen generator bracket bolts (2) and generator
pivot bolt (3).
4) Loosen generator adjusting bolt (4), and then
remove water pump belt.