Parking Brake Inspection and Adjustment
Hold center of parking brake lever grip and pull it up with
200 N (20 kg, 44 lbs) force.
With parking brake lever pulled up as shown, count
ratchet notches. There should be 4 – 9 notches.
Also, check if both right and left rear wheels are locked
To count number of notches easily, listen to click sounds
that ratchet makes while pulling parking brake lever
without pressing its button.
One click sound corresponds to one notch.
If number of notches is out of specification, adjust cable
referring to adjustment procedure so as to obtain
specified parking brake stroke.
Check tooth tip of each notch for damage or
If any damage or wear is found, replace
parking brake lever.
Make sure for the following conditions before
• No air is trapped in brake system.
• Brake pedal travel is proper.
• Start engine and then brake pedal has
been depressed at least 3 times with about
150 N (15 kg, 33 lbs) load.
• Parking brake lever has been pulled up a
few times with about 200 N (20 kg, 44 lbs)
If parking brake cable is replaced with new
one, pull up parking brake lever a few
times with about 500 N (50 kg, 110 lbs)
After confirming that the conditions are all satisfied,
adjust parking brake lever stroke by loosening or
tightening adjust nut (1).
Check brake drum for dragging after
Parking brake stroke
When lever is pulled up at 200 N (20 kg, 44 lbs): 4 to
Parking Brake Cable Removal and Installation
When it is necessary to remove both right
and left parking brake cables, repeat below
steps 2) and 6) on right and left wheels.
1) Hoist vehicle.
2) Remove wheel.
3) Disconnect parking brake cable from equalizer
(parking brake lever) and clamps.
4) Remove brake drum. Refer to "Rear Brake Drum
Removal and Installation in Section 4C".
5) Disconnect parking brake cable from brake shoe
lever referring to "Rear Brake Shoe Removal and
Installation in Section 4C".
6) Remove parking brake cable and parking cable
Install it by reversing removal procedure, noting the
• Install clamps properly referring to "Parking Brake
• Tighten bolts and nuts to specified torque referring to
"Parking Brake Cable Components".
• Adjust parking brake cable. Refer to "Parking Brake
Inspection and Adjustment".
• Check brake drum for dragging and brake system for
proper performance. Brake test should be performed.