23) Remove differential cover.
24) To measure bevel gear backlash, set dial gauge at
right angle to bevel gear tooth, fix drive bevel pinion
and read dial gauge while moving bevel gear.
If bevel gear backlash is out of specification, repeat
• Be sure to apply measuring tip of dial
gauge at right angles to convex side of
• Measure at least 4 points on drive bevel
Drive bevel gear back lash
0.1 – 0.2 mm (0.004 – 0.008 in.)
25) As final step, check gear tooth contact as follows.
a) After cleaning 10 drive bevel gear teeth, paint
them with gear marking compound evenly by
using brush (1) or sponge etc.
b) Turn gear to bring its painted part in mesh with
drive bevel pinion and turn it back and forth by
hand to repeat their contact.
c) Bring painted part up and check contact pattern,
referring to the following table. If contact pattern
is not normal, readjust or replace as necessary
according to instruction in the table.
Be careful not to turn drive bevel gear more
than one full revolution, for it will hinder
A: Paint gear marking compound evenly