1J-4 Charging System:
Generator Symptom Diagnosis
• Do not mistake polarities of "IG" terminal
and "L" terminal.
• Do not create short circuit between "IG"
and "L" terminals. Always connect these
terminals through a lamp.
• Do not connect any load between "L" and
• When connecting charger or booster
battery to vehicle battery, refer to "Jump
Starting in Case of Emergency".
Trouble in charging system will show up as one or more
of the following conditions:
1) Faulty indicator lamp operation.
2) An undercharged battery as evidenced by slow
cranking or indicator dark.
3) An overcharged battery as evidenced by excessive
spewing of electrolyte from vents.
Charging Indicator Lamp Operation
Charge light does not
light with ignition ON and
Charge light does not go
out with engine running
(battery requires frequent
Generator Test (Undercharged Battery Check)
This condition, as evidenced by slow cranking or low
specific gravity can be caused by one or more of the
following conditions even though indicator lamp may be
operating normal. The following procedure also applies
to cars with voltmeter and ammeter.
• Make sure that undercharged condition has not been
caused by accessories left on for extended period of
• Check drive belt for proper tension.
• If battery defect is suspected, refer to "Battery
• Inspect wiring for defects. Check all connections for
tightness and cleanliness, battery cable connections
at battery, starting motor and ignition ground cable.
1) Connect voltmeter and ammeter as shown in figure.
Indicator lamp (LED) faulty
Wiring connection loose
IC regulator or field coil faulty
Poor contact between brush and slip
Drive belt loose or worn
IC regulator or generator faulty
Noise from generator may be caused by loose drive
pulley, loose mounting bolts, worn or dirty bearings,
defective diode, or defective stator.
B: Generator output (Battery terminal)
C: C terminal
F: Field coil terminal
Correction / Reference Item
Check BCM, combination meter and/or CAN
Tighten loose connection.
Repair or replace.
Adjust or replace drive belt.
Check charging system.
Use fully charged battery.
2. Ammeter (between generator "B" terminal and
battery (+) terminal)
3. Voltmeter (between generator "B" terminal and
IG: Ignition terminal
L: Lamp terminal
FR: Field duty monitor