8A-7 Seat Belts:
Front Seat Belt Inspection
• Never attempt to disassemble or repair the
seat belt pretensioner (retractor). If any
abnormality is found, be sure to replace it
with new one as an assembly.
• Be sure to read "Precautions on Service
and Diagnosis of Seat Belt", before
starting to work and observe every
precaution during work. Neglecting them
may result in personal injury or
unactivation of the seat belt pretensioner
• Never measure resistance of pretensioner
or disassemble it. Otherwise, personal
injury may result.
If seat belt pretensioner (retractor) was
dropped from a height of 30 cm (1 ft) or more,
it should be replaced.
Seat belts and attaching parts can affect the vital
components and systems of a vehicle.
Therefore, they should be inspected carefully and
replaced with genuine parts only.
• The seat belt webbing or strap should be free from
Retractor (with Seat Belt Pretensioner)
1) Let the seat belt retract fully to confirm its easy
• The retractor should lock webbing when pulled
• The front seat belt retractor (1) should pass the
inspection and should lock webbing even when
tilted (approx. 15°) toward the fore and aft or right
and left directions.
2) Check retractor (1) with seat belt pretensioner
appearance visually for following symptoms and if
any one of them is applicable, replace it with a new
one as an assembly.
• Pretensioner has activated.
• There is a crack in seat belt pretensioner
• Seat belt pretensioner (retractor) is damaged or a
strong impact (e.g., dropping) was applied to it.
• Anchor bolts should be torqued to specification.
• It should be secure when latched.
Seat Belt Buckle Switch
Check driver side seat belt switch and passenger side
seat belt switch for continuity by using ohmmeter.
Seat belt switch specification
Without inserted buckle tongue to buckle catch:
Terminal "A" and "B": Continuity
With inserted buckle tongue to buckle catch:
Terminal "A" and "B": No continuity
1. Buckle tongue
2. Buckle catch