8B-91 Air Bag System:
Repair and Inspection Required after Accident
• All air bag system components, including
the electrical harness (component
mounting points), must be inspected after
an accident. If any components are
damaged or bent, they must be replaced
even if air bag system activation did not
• Never use air bag system parts from
• Do not attempt to service the parts below.
Service of these parts is by replacement
– Driver / Passenger air bag (inflator)
– Driver / Passenger side-air bag (inflator)
– Driver / Passenger side curtain-air bag
– Driver / Passenger seat belt
– Forward impact-sensor
– Driver / Passenger side impact-sensors
– Contact coil and combination switch
– Air bag wire harness in main harness,
instrument panel harness, floor harness,
passenger air bag harness, side-air bag
harness and side curtain-air bag
• Proper operation of the sensors and air
bag system requires that any repairs to the
vehicle structure return it to its original
After detecting one time of such collision as
to meet deployment conditions, the SDM
must not be used.
Refer to "Air Bag Diagnostic System Check"
when checking the SDM.
Accident with Deployment / Activation – Component
When driver and passenger air bags are deployed, the
following components must be replaced.
• Driver and passenger air bag (inflator) modules
• Driver and passenger seat belt pretensioners
• SDM after detecting such collision as to meet
• Forward impact-sensor
• Instrument panel
When side-air bag and side curtain-air bag are deployed,
the following components must be replaced.
• Deployed side-air bag (inflator) module
• Deployed side curtain-air bag (inflator) module
• Side impact-sensor
Accident with or without Deployment / Activation –
Certain air bag and restraint system components must
be inspected after any crash, whether the air bag system
activated or not. If any faulty condition is found in the
following checks, replace faulty part.
Those components are:
• Steering column (1) and shaft joints
– Check for length, damage and bend according to
"Checking Steering Column for Accident Damage in
• Steering column bracket (2) and capsules
– Check for damage and bent.
• Steering wheel and driver air bag (inflator) module
– Check for damage or air bag (inflator) module
– Check trim cover (pad surface) for cracks.
– Check wire harness and connector for damage or