Snorkel Gear Backlash Procedure
1. Reassemble the snorkel tube and snorkel shaft
assembly by reversing the disassembly procedure
(see "Snorkel Shaft Removal / Disassembly").
2. After the 13T gear and bearing are pressed onto the
snorkel shaft (flush to the shoulder), install the
washer and new retaining ring.
3. Press the gear back towards the retaining ring. Avoid
excessive force so the retaining ring is not damaged
or pre-stressed significantly.
NOTE: Failure to press the gear back against the
washer and retaining ring will lead to a gear
backlash change after vehicle is placed into
4. Apply a small amount of white lithium grease or Anti-
Seize on the threads of the snorkel tube.
9925724 R01 - 2014-2015 RZR XP 1000 / RZR XP4 1000 Service Manual
5. Install the snorkel shaft into the gearcase. Using the
6. Inspect the pinion shaft assembly. Replace bearings
7. Install the pinion shaft assembly. Be sure to properly
8. Apply Loctite® 242™ to the threads of the bearing
© Copyright 2014 Polaris Industries Inc.
Snorkel Tool (PA-50231), tighten the snorkel tube
until it is lightly seated in the transmission housing.
if needed. Inspect each gear for damage, chips or
abnormally worn teeth.
NOTE: If pinion shaft was disassembled, the
bearing cover must be installed on the shaft
before installing the 46T gear.
mesh the snorkel shaft bevel gear with the pinion
shaft bevel gear.
cover retaining screws.