ENGINE / COOLING SYSTEM
Upper Crankcase Preparation
NOTE: Always replace plain bearings when the
1. Remove all traces of crankcase sealer from the
crankcase mating surfaces. Inspect the surfaces
closely for nicks, burrs or damage.
2. Clean bolt hole threads to remove any oil or
3. Inspect crankcase bearing bores. Replace the
crankcase assembly if a bearing bore is galled or if
bearing inserts have rotated in the case.
4. Be sure alignment pins are in place where used.
5. Refer to Engine Oil Flow Chart, page 3.5 at the
beginning of this chapter and trace the oil paths
through the crankcase and cylinder.
6. Flush all oil passages with solvent and then warm
soapy water. Rinse with clear, warm water and dry
with compressed air.
7. Be sure passages are clean and dry before
assembling the upper crankcase.
9925724 R01 - 2014-2015 RZR XP 1000 / RZR XP4 1000 Service Manual
© Copyright 2014 Polaris Industries Inc.
Piston Ring Installation
NOTE: Apply clean engine oil to all ring surfaces
and ring lands upon installation. Always check
piston ring installed gap before rings are installed on
piston (see Chapter 3 – Piston Ring Installed Gap,
page 3.59). Clean accumulated carbon from piston
ring grooves and oil ring lube holes if piston has
been in service.
1. Place oil control ring expander in oil ring groove.
Rotate expander in groove until butt ends are on
PTO side of piston (see illustration below).
NOTE: Ends must butt squarely together and
must not overlap.
2. Install lower rail with end gap positioned on the
intake side of piston.