ENGINE / COOLING SYSTEM
NOTE: The flywheel can be serviced with the engine
installed in the chassis.
1. Remove the stator cover assembly.
2. Remove the starter torque limit gear as an assembly.
3. Inspect gear teeth for damage. Inspect fit of shaft
inside gear and replace gear assembly is clearance
is excessive. Inspect the shaft and bearing surfaces
in the crankcase and stator cover for excessive wear.
4. Using a commercially available strap wrench
the flywheel and remove the flywheel retaining bolt
5. Fully install Flywheel Puller (PA-49316)
threads of the flywheel (left hand thread - turn
flywheel puller counterclockwise to install).
9925724 R01 - 2014-2015 RZR XP 1000 / RZR XP4 1000 Service Manual
© Copyright 2014 Polaris Industries Inc.
6. Hold puller body and tighten the center bolt to
remove the flywheel.
Starter One-Way Clutch Inspection
The starter one-way clutch can be
serviced with the engine installed in the chassis.
7. Remove the stator cover and flywheel (see Chapter
Stator Cover Removal / Inspection, page
3.44and Flywheel Removal, page 3.46).
8. Place flywheel on a work bench with the one-way
clutch facing up. Grasp clutch gear and rotate
clockwise. It should turn smoothly without binding.
9. Rotate one-way gear counterclockwise
should immediately lock in position and not slip.
10. Inspect the one-way gear bushing
galling. If service is required, see chapter 3 – Starter
One-Way Clutch Disassembly, page 3.47.
. The gear
for wear or