ENGINE / COOLING SYSTEM
Piston Ring Removal
1. Carefully remove top compression ring
using a ring removal pliers.
DO NOT expand the ring more than necessary to
remove it from the piston or the ring may break or lose
• Piston ring pliers: Carefully expand ring and lift it
off the piston.
• By hand: Placing both thumbs on the ring ends,
spread the ring open and push up on opposite
side. Do not scratch ring lands.
2. Repeat procedure for second compression ring
3. The oil control ring
consisting of a top and bottom steel rail and a center
expander section. Remove top rail first, then bottom
rail, then the expander.
by hand or
is a three piece design
9925724 R01 - 2014-2015 RZR XP 1000 / RZR XP4 1000 Service Manual
© Copyright 2014 Polaris Industries Inc.
Piston Ring to Groove Clearance Inspection
1. Measure piston ring to groove clearance
placing the ring in the ring land and measuring with a
thickness (feeler) gauge. Replace piston and rings if
ring-to-groove clearance exceeds service limits.
Piston Ring to Groove Clearance:
0.0007 - 0.0023" (0.020 - 0.060 mm)
Service Limit: 0.0047" (0.12 mm)
Top / Second Ring: