Parking Brake Inspection
1. Inspect parking brake cable and brake pads for wear.
2. Refer to
Parking Brake Cable Adjustment, page
9.12 if adjustment is necessary. Refer to Parking
Brake Caliper, page 9.13 for brake pad replacement.
Parking Brake Cable Adjustment
When the parking brake is fully engaged and "BRAKE" is
displayed on the instrument cluster, engine speed is
limited to 1500 RPM while in gear. If throttle is applied,
this limiting feature prevents operation, which protects
the parking brake pads from excessive wear.
NOTE: Inspect parking brake cable tension after the
first 25 hours of operation and every 100 hours of
operation afterwards to ensure proper cable tension.
Loss of tension in the parking brake cable will cause
illumination of the parking brake indicator and activation
of the limiting feature. If this occurs, inspect and adjust
parking brake cable tension. If performing this service is
difficult due to conditions or location, temporarily
disconnect the parking brake switch electrical connector.
Reconnect the connector as soon as practicable and
adjust the parking brake cable to proper tension.
1. Pull back on parking brake lever (located in the
2. After 3 to 4 clicks "BRAKE" should display on the
instrument cluster and the wheels should not rotate
when turning by hand. After 8 full clicks of lever
travel, the vehicle should not roll while parked.
3. If the vehicle moves, adjustment is necessary.
4. Adjust the parking brake cable where it attaches to
the caliper mount / shift cable bracket. The mount
bracket is located on the right-hand side of the
9925724 R01 - 2014-2015 RZR XP 1000 / RZR XP4 1000 Service Manual
© Copyright 2014 Polaris Industries Inc.
5. Place the vehicle in neutral on a flat level surface.
6. Locate the parking brake cable adjustment area
where the cable attaches to the caliper mount
7. Use two open-end wrenches and loosen the outer
jam nut (D). Back out the outer jam nut (D) 1 1/2
8. Now hold the outer jam nut (D) and turn in the inner
jam nut (C) clockwise, until the jam nut is tight
against the bracket.
9. Repeat Step 3 and Step 4 until the proper
adjustment is obtained for the parking brake.
NOTE: See Chapter 10 – Parking Brake Switch
(INT'L Model), page
the parking brake switch.
for more information on