Writing Error/Output Error/Communication Error (Windows)
If the POWER lamp is off, make sure machine is plugged in and turn it on.
If POWER lamp flashes while the machine is initializing. Wait until the POWER lamp stops flashing and
Make sure correct printer port is set in printer driver.
* In the following instructions, "XXX" signifies your machine's name.
1. Log in using an account with administrator privileges.
2. Make the following settings.
• In Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, select Control Panel from Settings charm on Desktop > Hardware
and Sound > Devices and Printers.
• In Windows 7, select Devices and Printers from Start menu.
• In Windows Vista, select Start menu > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Printers.
• In Windows XP, select Start menu > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Printers
3. Open printer driver properties.
• In Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7, right-click "Canon XXX series Printer" icon (where "XXX"
is your machine's name), and then select Printer properties.
• In Windows Vista or Windows XP, right-click "Canon XXX series Printer" icon (where "XXX" is your
machine's name), and then select Properties.
4. Click Ports tab to check port settings.
Make sure that a port named "USBnnn" (where "n" is a number) with "Canon XXX series Printer"
appearing in Printer column is selected for Print to the following port(s).
• When the machine is used over LAN, the port name of the machine is displayed as
"CNBJNP_xxxxxxxxxx". "xxxxxxxxxx" is the character string generated from the MAC address or a
character string specified by the user when setting up the machine.
• If setting is incorrect:
Reinstall the MP Drivers from the Setup CD-ROM or the Canon website.
• Printing does not start even though the machine is connected to the computer using a USB cable
and the port named "USBnnn" is selected:
In Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, select My Printer on Start screen to start My Printer. If My Printer is
not displayed on Start screen, select Search charm, and then search for "My Printer".
Set the correct printer port on Diagnose and Repair Printer. Follow the on-screen instructions to
set the correct printer port, and then select your machine's name.
In Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, click Start and select All programs, Canon
Utilities, Canon My Printer, Canon My Printer, and then select Diagnose and Repair Printer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to set the correct printer port, and then select your machine's