Connects external wireless communication devices (e.g. computers, smartphones, or tablets)
to the printer using it as an access point (wireless router).
• When Direct Connection is displayed on Network Type:, you cannot change the settings on
the Wireless LAN sheet or the Admin Password sheet.
• You can change or check the settings from Set up printer's direct connection... on the
Settings menu when you use the printer with the direct connection (access point mode).
Changing Settings in Direct Connection
2. Network (SSID):
The network name (SSID) of the wireless LAN currently used is displayed.
• Enter the same SSID that the wireless router is configured to use. The SSID is case-
In the direct connection (access point mode), the access point name (SSID) of the printer is
The Wireless Routers screen is displayed to select a wireless router to connect to.
Wireless Routers Screen
• When IJ Network Tool runs over a LAN, the button is grayed out and cannot be selected.
Connect the printer and the computer with a USB cable temporarily to change the settings.
4. Encryption Method:
Select the encryption method used over the wireless LAN.
• If all encryption types of the wireless router, printer, or computer do not match, the printer
cannot communicate with the computer. If the printer cannot communicate with the computer
after the encryption type of the printer was switched, make sure encryption types for the
computer and the wireless router match that set to the printer.
• If you connect to a network that is not protected with security measures, there is a risk of
disclosing data such as your personal information to a third party.
Do Not Use
Select to disable encryption.
Use Password (WEP)
Transmission is encrypted using a WEP key you specified.
If a network password (WEP) has not been set, the WEP Details screen is displayed
automatically. To change WEP settings set before, click Configuration... to display the
Changing WEP Detailed Settings