Monitor Theory of Operation
Display and User Interface Software Module
The Display and User Interface Software displays measurement data and status information
on the color LCD display, and processes the operator inputs from the HIF Controller. The
interface consists of the following sub-modules:
• Screen Configuration.
• Numerics and Wave Presentation.
• Key and TouchStrip Processing.
• Alarm and Status Presentation.
Alarm Manager Software Module
The visual and audible alarms generated by the Measurement Server, the Measurement
Server Extension or by the Monitor software modules are assigned priorities by the Alarm
Manager. The Alarm Manager also:
• Monitors the "alarm suspended", "alarm silence" and "alarm reminder" functionality.
• Manages alarm latching (alarms remain in effect until reset or turned off by the user).
• Triggers the Nurse Call Relay.
• Generates alarm event triggers for any user-defined trigger conditions.
Admit / Discharge / Transfer (ADT) Software Module
This module maintains the patient's demographics and controls the upload of trend data from
the Measurement Server and the Measurement Server Extension. It allows the user to:
• Admit a new patient.
• Transfer a patient to another Monitor.
• Discharge a patient.
Trend Software Module
This module manages a trend database. It stores physiological values from the Measurement
Server and from the Measurement Server Extension in two separate databases, a short-term
and a long-term database. The contents of these databases is battery-buffered, so that no data
is lost in the event of a power failure.
Events Software Module
The events software module allows the user to take snapshots of the Monitor state and store
them for later viewing or printing.This can be done automatically, triggered by alarms, if the
monitor is configured appropriately. The types of data that can be captured are as follows:
• All physiological values.
• All current alarms.
• The last 20 seconds of wave data.
Introduction to the Instrument