Siemens AG, 2003. All rights reserved
SINUMERIK 840Di Manual (HBI) – 06.03 Edition
To avoid data loss, the battery on the MCI board should be changed at the lat-
est if the alarm "2100 NCK battery warning threshold reached" has occurred for
the first time.
When operating electrical devices, certain parts of these devices are inevitably
under hazardous voltage.
Improper handling of these devices may therefore result in loss of life, severe
personal injury or substantial material damage.
When servicing these devices, you should therefore observe all notices pro-
vided in this Section and attached to the product itself.
– This device may only be serviced by accordingly qualified personnel.
– Before starting any maintenance and service work, disconnect the device
– Use only spare parts approved by the manufacturer.
– Strictly observe the prescribed maintenance intervals, as well as the in-
structions for repair and replacement.
The module contains electrostatically sensitive devices.
Electrostatically discharge your own body before touching the module. To do
so, touch an earthed, conductive object (e.g. blank cubicle parts, socket protec-
tion contact) immediately before starting work on the module.
In order to change the battery, proceed as follows:
1. Due to the battery change (SRAM is not backed up during this time), data
loss might occur in the SRAM of the MCI board. To avoid an expensive new
start-up, make sure prior to the battery change that an appropriate series
machine start-up file (NC and PLC) exists.
For information on how to create a series machine start-up file, please refer
to Chapter 14, Page 14-449.
2. Shut down the SINUMERIK 840Di and Windows NT correctly.
To do so, use one of the following possibilities:
Windows NT taskbar: Start > Shut Down
Interface signal: "PC shutdown"; see Subsection 16.1.1, page 16-499
3. Disconnect your PC from mains.
2 Hardware Descriptions
2.2 MCI board