15 SW Installation/Update and Data Backup
15.2 Software installation/update
Software installation//updating SINUMERIK 840Di system soft-
Parallel link and external FAT16 drive
The following describes the necessary operator actions to install/update SI-
NUMERIK 840Di system software on the PCU from an external computer
1. Backup the NC and PLC user data by creating a series machine start-up file.
See Chapter 14, page 14-449.
2. Install//update the SINUMERIK 840Di system software. According to your
requirements, please see:
– Parallel link and external FAT16 drive:
Subsection 15.2.2, page 15-460.
– Parallel link and external FAT32 drive:
Subsection 15.2.3, page 15-463.
– Network link (Ethernet):
Subsection 15.2.4, page 15-466.
3. Initialize the control by deleting NC data and performing a general PLC re-
set. See Subsection 8.1.1, page 8-249.
4. Read in the series machine start-up file created in Step 1. See Section 14.4,
The operator actions explained in the following will copy software from an exter-
nal computer (PG/PC) from a FAT16 drive into the installation directory
D:\INSTALL on the PCU by means of a parallel link.
When the control is booted for the next time under Windows NT, the software
(setup.exe) contained in the installation directory D:\INSTALL is installed auto-
The following requirements must be fulfilled:
The software to be installed is to be found in a FAT16 drive called MMC102
directory of the external computer.
The operating system of the external computer is either:
– Windows 95
– Windows 3.11
Siemens AG, 2003. All rights reserved
SINUMERIK 840Di Manual (HBI) – 06.03 Edition