15 SW Installation/Update and Data Backup
15.1 General requirements
Setting/determining the network parameters of an external
Installing the net-
In order to be able to establish a network connection to an external computer,
the following requirements must be fulfilled with respect to the external com-
1. The Ethernet cable is connected to the Ethernet interface of the external
computer and the PCU.
– Point-to-point connections require a "twisted" Ethernet cable (Converted
Point-to-point connections require a "twisted" Ethernet cable (Converted
2. The network protocol NetBEUI must be installed on the external computer.
3. The computer name of the external computer must be known.
4. Access to the drive/folder of the external computer you want to access must
be shared by the PCU, and the sharing name must be known.
To install the network protocol NetBEUI, open Control Panel using the Windows
95/NT taskbar Start > Settings > Control Panel on the external computer.
Open Network in the Control Panel.
Dialog: Select Network Protocol
Network Protocol <NetBEUI protocol>
To determine the computer name, open the Windows 95/NT taskbar Start >
Settings > Control Panel on the external computer.
In the "Control Panel", open Network.
Computer Name: <COMPUTER NAME>
Various SINUMERIK OPs allow to enter uppercase letters. Therefore, to enter
the user name and the password of the external computer (PG/PC), either use
only uppercase letters or connect a standard PC keyboard to the PCU.
Siemens AG, 2003. All rights reserved
SINUMERIK 840Di Manual (HBI) – 06.03 Edition