10 NC Start-Up with HMI Advanced
10.4 Memory configuration
2. At the time when the user switches off the system, the UPS takes charge of
the supply voltage for the SINUMERIK 840Di. Correct termination of Win-
dows NT must now be requested via one of the shutdown signals described
3. After request for correct shutdown of Windows NT by the shutdown signal,
the standard Windows NT Blue Screen appears with a message to indicate
that the memory dump has been started:
– Beginning dump of physical memory
– Dumping physical memory to disk:
4. On completion of the memory dump, Windows NT issues the following mes-
– Physical memory dump complete
– Contact your system administrator or technical support group
5. The UPS can now switch off the power to the SINUMERK 840Di.
The next start–up of the SINUMERIK 840Di takes considerably longer due to
the necessary restoring activities. The following message box appears to inform
SINUMERIK 840Di NCK/PLC
Alarm: Restoring NCK user data after BlueScreen,
this may take a while.
The control must not be switched off / terminated until start–up of the SINUM-
ERIK 840Di is complete. Otherwise, all user data will be lost (requiring re/com-
missioning of the SINUMERIK 840Di–NCK and PLC).
If the memory area of the virtual SRAM could not be written to the hard disk of
the PCU, e.g. because the control was switched off without correctly terminating
Windows NT, the current user data are lost.
During the next start–up of the SINUMERIK 840Di that follows, the last valid
version on the user data are loaded to the virtual SRAM. The SINUMERIK
840Di is thus ready again immediately.
The user data or the operating state of the SINUMERIK 840Di must be checked
to see whether they are suitable to be worked with in the future. It might be nec-
essary to perform commissioning of the SINUMERIK 840Di NC and PLC again.
The following alarm is displayed:
Alarm: "4065 Battery-backed memory has been restored from the hard
disk (possible data loss)"
For safety reasons, the alarm must be acknowledged explicitly by the operator
before performing the necessary NCK POWER ON reset.
See Subsection 10.10.1, Page 10-395ff.
Siemens AG, 2003. All rights reserved
SINUMERIK 840Di Manual (HBI) – 06.03 Edition