Closing the ejector handle engages the drive with the electrical
connector in the hot-swap mass storage cage and seats the
7. If the drive is unseated in the cage after closing the ejector handle, repeat
steps 5 and 6.
8. Configure mass storage devices according to Chapter 10, "Configuring the
Removing a Hot-Swap Hard Disk Drive Module
You must remove the drive slowly to ensure the drive heads
are parked prior to removal. Follow these instructions to
prevent handling damage, such as head slaps or head actuator
1. To unlock the drive, push the locking latch in and then pull the ejector
handle toward you. See Figure 4-15.
2. Gently pull the drive out about an inch to disengage the power connection.
3. Wait about 30 seconds for the drive to stop spinning and the drive heads to
4. Use your hand to support the bottom of the drive, while you slowly pull the
drive straight out.
Do not allow the drive to fall.
5. Place the drive in an electrostatic-protected container. Do not stack drives.
Installing Mass Storage Devices