19. If you removed any fans, install them.
20. Insert the hard disk drives and the fillers the rest of the way into the bays.
If you have other devices to install or remove, do so now. Otherwise, go to
"Completing the installation" on page 139.
Installing a SAS/SATA 8 Pac HDD option
If the server is a 16-drive-capable model with eight hard disk drive bays installed,
you can install an IBM System x3650 M3 Hot-swap SAS/SATA 8 Pac HDD option.
See http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/serverproven/compat/us/ for a list of
supported optional devices. To order a SAS/SATA 8 Pac HDD option, contact your
IBM marketing representative or authorized reseller.
The SAS/SATA 8 Pac HDD option kit contains the following components:
v One 2.5-inch hard disk drive backplane
v One SAS expander card
v Four M3 screws
v One remote battery cable
v Eight blank EMC fillers
v Four SAS signal cables (one cable has a right-angle connector)
v One internal power cable
v Two backplane brackets
To install a 8-disk-drive optional hard disk drive backplane in a 16-drive-capable
server model, complete the following steps:
b. Connect the SAS signal cable that comes with the 4 Pac HDD upgrade
option kit from the left side of the hard disk drive backplane to the left front
connector on the SAS controller (as facing the front of the server).
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
on page 37.
2. Turn off the server and disconnect all power cords and external cables (see
"Turning off the server" on page 22).
3. Remove the server cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
Chapter 2. Installing optional devices