Installing a hot-swap fan
The server comes with three replaceable double fans. For proper cooling, the
server requires that all three fans be installed at all times.
seconds. Have a replacement fan ready to install as soon as you remove the failed
To install any of the three replaceable fans, complete the following steps:
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
2. If you have not done so already, slide the server out of the rack and remove the
3. Orient the new fan over its position in the fan bracket so that the connector on
4. Align the vertical tabs on the fan with the slots on the fan cage bracket.
5. Push the new fan into the fan connector on the system board. Press down on
If you have other devices to install or remove, do so now. Otherwise, go to
"Completing the installation" on page 139.
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
To ensure proper server operation, if a fan fails, replace it within 30
on page 37.
cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
To ensure proper system cooling, do not remove the top cover for
more than 30 minutes during this procedure.
the bottom aligns with the fan connector on the system board.
the top surface of the fan to seat the fan fully. Make sure that the amber LED
next to the fan connector on the system board is off.