To remove the SAS controller from a SAS riser-card, complete the following steps:
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
2. Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect all power cords and
3. Remove the cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Locate the SAS riser-card and controller assembly near the left-front corner of
5. Disconnect the SAS signal cables from the connectors on the SAS controller
6. Remove the SAS controller assembly, which includes the SAS riser-card, from
7. Pull the SAS controller horizontally out of the connector on the SAS riser-card.
8. If you are replacing the SAS controller with another supported SAS controller,
Installing a ServeRAID SAS controller on the SAS riser-card
Important: If you have installed a SAS expander card in a 16-drive-capable server,
the SAS controller is installed in a PCI riser-card assembly and is installed and
removed the same way as any other PCI adapter. Do not use the instructions in this
topic; use the instructions in "Installing a PCI adapter" on page 52 and "Removing a
PCI adapter" on page 56.
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
on page 37.
external cables (see "Turning off the server" on page 22).
and note their locations.
the server (see "Removing the SAS riser-card and controller assembly" on page
16-drive-capable server model:
Tape-enabled server model:
continue with "Installing a ServeRAID SAS controller on the SAS riser-card."