The thermal grease must be replaced whenever the heat sink has been removed
from the top of the microprocessor and is going to be reused or when debris is
found in the grease.
To replace damaged or contaminated thermal grease on the microprocessor and
heat exchanger, complete the following steps:
1. Place the heat-sink assembly on a clean work surface.
2. Remove the cleaning pad from its package and unfold it completely.
3. Use the cleaning pad to wipe the thermal grease from the bottom of the heat
4. Use a clean area of the cleaning pad to wipe the thermal grease from the
5. Use the thermal-grease syringe to place nine uniformly spaced dots of 0.02 mL
Note: Make sure that all of the thermal grease is removed.
microprocessor; then, dispose of the cleaning pad after all of the thermal grease
0.02 mL of thermal
each on the top of the microprocessor.
Note: 0.01mL is one tick mark on the syringe. If the grease is properly applied,
approximately half (0.22 mL) of the grease will remain in the syringe.
Chapter 2. Installing optional devices