8. Install the SAS riser-card and controller assembly (see "Installing the SAS
If you have other devices to install or remove, do so now. Otherwise, go to
"Completing the installation" on page 139.
1. When you restart the server for the first time after you install a SAS controller
2. When you restart the server, you are given the opportunity to import the existing
Installing an optional ServeRAID adapter advanced feature key
To install an optional ServeRAID adapter advanced feature key, complete the
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
2. Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect all power cords and
3. Remove the cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Align the upgrade key with the connector on the ServeRAID adapter and push it
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
riser-card and controller assembly" on page 118).
with a battery, the monitor screen remains blank while the controller initializes
the battery. This might take a few minutes, after which the startup process
continues. This is a one-time occurrence.
Important: You must allow the initialization process to be completed. If you do
not, the battery pack will not work, and the server might not start.
The battery comes partially charged, at 30% or less of capacity. Run the server
for 4 to 6 hours to fully charge the controller battery. The LED just above the
battery on the controller remains lit until the battery is fully charged.
Until the battery is fully charged, the controller firmware sets the controller
cache to write-through mode; after the battery is fully charged, the controller
firmware re-enables write-back mode.
RAID configuration to the new ServeRAID SAS controller.
on page 37.
external cables (see "Turning off the server" on page 22).
into the connector until it is firmly seated.