Installing a ServeRAID SAS controller battery on the remote battery
Note: For brevity, in this documentation the Intelligent Battery Backup Unit (iBBU)
is often referred to as the battery.
When you install a ServeRAID SAS controller in a PCI riser-card assembly in the
server, you must install the battery at a distance from the ServeRAID controller to
avoid overheating. This section describes the process for installing a battery or
batteries in the server.
To install a battery, complete the following steps:
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
on page 37.
2. Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect all power cords and
external cables (see "Turning off the server" on page 22).
3. Remove the cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Remove the PCI riser-card assembly from the server and set it aside (see
"Removing a PCI riser-card assembly" on page 45).
5. Remove the ServeRAID controller from the riser card (see "Removing a PCI
adapter" on page 56).