To install a 4-disk-drive optional hard disk drive backplane in a 8-drive-capable
server model, complete the following steps:
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
on page 37.
2. Turn off the server and disconnect all power cords and external cables (see
"Turning off the server" on page 22).
3. Remove the server cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Remove the three 4-drive filler panels that are to the right of drive bay 4,
beneath the IDs 4 - 15 on the front bezel.
5. To obtain more working room, remove fans 2 and 3 (see "Removing a
hot-swap fan" on page 115).
6. Pull the hard disk drives or fillers out of the server slightly to disengage them
from the backplanes. For more information, see"Removing a hard disk drive"
on page 59.
7. Disconnect the SAS signal cable from the SAS controller, which is connected
to the SAS riser-card. Leave the other end of the SAS signal cable connected
to the hard disk drive backplane.
8. Remove the SAS controller assembly from the server; then, remove the SAS
controller from the SAS riser-card. See "Removing a ServeRAID SAS
controller from the SAS riser-card" on page 121 for instructions.