The following illustration shows the microprocessor socket locations on the system
v A startup (boot) microprocessor must always be installed in microprocessor
v To ensure correct server operation when you install an additional microprocessor,
To install an additional microprocessor, complete the following steps:
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
socket 1 on the system board.
use microprocessors that are compatible and install at least one DIMM in a
DIMM connector for microprocessor 2.
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
on page 37.
2. Turn off the server and disconnect all power cords and external cables (see
"Turning off the server" on page 22).
3. Remove the server cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Remove PCI riser-card assembly 2 (see "Removing a PCI riser-card assembly"
on page 45).
5. Remove the microprocessor air baffle (see "Removing the microprocessor 2 air
baffle" on page 47).
6. Locate the second microprocessor socket on the system board.
7. Rotate the heat-sink release lever to the fully open position.