v One SAS riser-card, tape enablement kit
v One SAS riser-card and controller assembly
v One tape enablement tray
v EMC brackets
v One SAS signal cable
v One HDD configuration cable
v One HDD power cable
v One tape drive power cable
v Eight M3 x 0.5 screws
v Four M3 x 5 screws
Converting a 16 bay system to a 8 bay + tape system
Note: You can skip this section if you do not have a 16 bay model.
To convert a 16 bay system to a 8 + tape system, complete the following steps:
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii, "Installation guidelines" on
2. Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and
3. Remove the server cover (see "Removing the cover" on page 44).
4. Remove the front bezel.
5. Move the hot-swap hard disk drives or fillers to the open drive bays:
6. Disconnect all cables from the SAS hard disk drive backplanes and from the
7. Shift the SAS hard disk drive backplane to the right to create enough space to
System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
page 37, and "Handling static-sensitive devices" on page 39.
all external cables.
a. Remove the screws from the bezel.
b. Rotate the top of the bezel away from the server and remove the tabs on
the bottom of the bezel from the slots on the underside of the chassis.
a. Remove the hard disk drive or filler panel in drive bay 7 and replace it in
bay 15. Slide the drive or filler panel most of the way into the drive bay, so
that it is not fully seated.
b. One at a time, remove each remaining hard disk drive or filler panel and
replace it in the rightmost available drive bay. Slide the drive or filler panel
most of the way into the drive bay, so that it is not fully seated.
SAS riser-card. Set the SAS signal cables and the configuration cable aside;
these cables will be replaced by the tape enablement kit cables.
install a tape drive.