System x3650 M3 Types 4255, 7945, and 7949: Installation and User's Guide
1. Read the safety information that begins on page vii and "Installation guidelines"
on page 37.
2. Remove the power-supply blank from the empty power-supply bay by pinching
the side clip and pulling the power-supply blank from the bay. Save the
power-supply blank in case you remove the power supply at a later time.
Important: During normal operation, each power-supply bay must contain
either a power supply or power-supply blank for proper cooling.
3. Slide the ac power supply into the bay until the retention latch clicks into place.
Make sure that the power supply connects firmly into the power-supply
Do not install 460-watt and 675-watt power supplies,
high-efficiency and non-high-efficiency power supplies, or ac and dc power
supplies in the server.
4. Connect the power cord for the new ac power supply to the power-cord
connector on the power supply.
The following illustration shows the ac power-supply connectors on the rear of
5. Route the power cord through the power-supply handle and through any cable
clamps on the rear of the server, to prevent the power cord from being
accidentally pulled out when you slide the server in and out of the rack.
6. Connect the power cord to a properly grounded electrical outlet.
7. Make sure that the ac power LED and the dc power LED on the ac power
supply are lit, indicating that the power supply is operating correctly. The two
green LEDs are to the right of the power-cord connector.
8. If you are replacing a power supply with one of a different wattage, apply the
power information label provided with the new power supply over the existing
power information label on the server.
9. (IBM Business Partners only) Restart the server. Confirm that it starts correctly
and recognizes the newly installed devices, and make sure that no error LEDs