When inserted, sheets are automatically held by suction against the Platen.
Loading Sheets in the Printer
• Load a sheet so that it is parallel to the Paper Alignment Line at right (c). Loading paper askew will
cause an error.
• Warped paper may rub against the Printhead. Straighten paper if it is warped before loading it.
• You can adjust the strength of suction holding paper against the Platen when the Release Lever is up.
If it is difficult to load paper, press the ▲ or ▼ button on the Control Panel to adjust the strength. Set
suction stronger by pressing the ▲ button or weaker with the ▼ button. Three settings are available.
However, even if you increase the suction, it may not be sufficient to hold some types of paper
against the Platen well. In this case, use your hand to load the paper.
• Sheets are held in place by suction through holes on the Platen. Although the suction may produce a
noise when paper is loaded in some positions, it does not indicate a problem. If the noise is distract-
ing, try moving the paper over slightly to the left or right (up to 1 mm [0.039 in]) while keeping it
parallel to the Paper Alignment Line.
• The suction remains on for about 30 seconds during loading. If you cannot finish loading a sheet dur-
ing this time, pull the sheet away and reinsert it to start the suction again.