Overview of Setup
These are the steps in printer installation.
Install the Printheads
Install the Ink Tanks
Install the Printer Driver and
the User Manual
Load Paper to Adjust the Printheads
Store Printed Manuals in the Pocket
• Even if you do not use the printer driver, be sure to install Media
Configuration Tool from the provided User Software CD-ROM.
With Media Configuration Tool, the paper types that are available
in your area can be registered to the printer. For instructions on
installation, refer to "Install the Printer Driver and the User Manual"
on page 5. (In Windows, select Install Individual Software in the
Setup Menu window to install Media Configuration Tool only.)
• We recommend doing a color calibration after completing the setup
to adjust variations in the colors.
Details for each step are given in this Setup Guide . Simply follow the instructions
to install the printer.
If an error message is displayed during setup or other problems occur, refer to
"Responding to Messages" on page 16.
Space Required for Installation
An area that is larger than the dimensions shown below is needed to install
Width and depth
• When using the output stacker in the front ejection position, provide at
least 1400 mm (55 inches) of unobstructed space in front of the printer.
Read this manual before attempting to operate the printer.
Keep this manual in a handy location for future reference.
After installing the printer as shown in this Setup Guide , refer to the
documentation for instructions on operation and maintenance.
The Basic Guide includes three booklets containing the following
1 Instructions on basic operation
2 Troubleshooting tips and maintenance procedures
3 Preparations for transferring the printer, and instructions for
reinstalling the printer driver
The User Manual (electronic manual) includes the following information:
• Printer operating instructions
• Printer driver instructions
• Printing instructions
• Maintenance procedures
• Instructions for network printing
The Paper Reference Guide (electronic manual) provides information
You can access the User Manual and Paper Reference Guide as follows:
• In Windows, double-click the iPFxxxx Support desktop icon. (iPFxxxx
represents the printer model.)
• In Mac OS X, click iPF Support, added to the Dock.
e. Set of CD-ROMs
b. Roll holder
f. Ejection support (x4)
c. Set of printer
g. 3-inch paper core attachment #2
h. 3-inch paper core attachment #1
d. Allen wrench
i. Power cord
Other documentation may also be included in the package.
• Some items are included with the printer but not described in this
manual. Keep these items in a safe place after setup because they are
used in various printing applications.
• For instructions on using items not described in this manual, refer to the
• A cable to connect the printer to a computer is not provided with the
• Canon, the Canon logo, and imagePROGRAF are trademarks or registered trademarks of CANON
• Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other
• Macintosh is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• All other trademarks or registered trademarks described in this Setup Guide are the property of their
©CANON INC. 2010
• Troubleshooting tips
• Printer menu descriptions
• Printer driver function details
• Specifications, details on
consumables and optional
accessories, and other
j. Printhead (x2)
k. Starter ink tanks
BK, MBK, C, M, Y, PM,
PC, GY, PGY, R, G, B
l. Sample paper (roll paper)
Printed in JAPAN