Overview of Setup
These are the steps in printer installation.
Install the Printheads
Install the Ink Tanks
Install the Software and the
Load Paper to Adjust the Printheads
Store Printed Manuals in the Pocket
• Even if you do not use the printer driver, be sure to install Media
Configuration Tool from the provided User Software CD-ROM.
With Media Configuration Tool, the paper types that are available
in your area can be registered to the printer. The Paper Reference
Guide also will be installed. For instructions on installation, refer
to "Install the Software and the Electronic Manuals" on page 6. (In
Windows, select Install Individual Software in the Setup Menu
window to install Media Configuration Tool only.)
• We recommend doing a color calibration after completing the setup
to adjust variations in the colors.
Details for each step are given in this Setup Guide. Simply follow the instructions
to install the printer.
If an error message is displayed during setup or other problems occur, refer to
"Responding to Messages" on page 6.
Space Required for Installation
An area that is larger than the dimensions shown below is needed to install
Width and depth
• When using the output stacker in the front ejection position, provide at
least 400 mm (55 inches) of unobstructed space in front of the printer.
Read this manual before attempting to operate the printer.
Keep this manual in a handy location for future reference.
The Manuals Supplied with This Printer
After installing the printer as shown in this Setup Guide, refer to the
manuals for instructions on operation and maintenance.
The Basic Guide includes three booklets containing the following
Loading paper, Replacing the consumables, Control Panel menus,
2 Troubleshooting tips and Error messages
3 Preparations for transferring the printer and Instructions for installing
the software and the electronic manuals
This guide describes advanced usage of the printer such as paper
saving tips, how to print a poster and banner with the supplied software
and print quality adjusting method, in addition to the basic instructions
for printing on roll paper or cut sheet.
Paper Reference Guide
This guide describes about the types and specifications of the available
media on the printer.
To refer to the electronic manuals
• Windows :
Double-click the iPFxxxx Support desktop
icon. (iPFxxxx indicates the printer model.)
• Mac OS X :
Click the iPF Support icon in the Dock.
f. Ejection support (x4)
b. Roll holder
g. Setup Guide (this document)
c. Set of manuals
h. 3-inch paper core attachment #2
d. Allen wrench
i. 3-inch paper core attachment #
e. Set of CD-ROMs
j. Power cord
Other documentation may also be included in the package.
• Some items are included with the printer but not described in this
manual. Keep these items in a safe place after setup because they are
used in various printing applications.
• For instructions on the included items not described in this manual, refer
to the User's Guide.
• A cable to connect the printer to a computer is not provided with the
• Canon, the Canon logo, and imagePROGRAF are trademarks or registered trademarks of CANON
• Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other
• Macintosh is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• All other trademarks or registered trademarks described in this Setup Guide are the property of their
©CANON INC. 20
k. Printhead (x2)
l. Starter ink tanks
BK, MBK, C, M, Y, PM,
m. Sample paper (roll paper)
PRINTED IN JAPAN