Shaft extensions with feather key
To maintain the balancing quality, you have the following options:
● If the output element is shorter than the feather key with balancing type "H", then you must
● If the transmission element is drawn up on to the shoulder of the shaft, you must ensure
The following applies for all 2-pole machines and 4-pole machines with a frequency ≥ 60 Hz:
● The feather key must be shortened if the coupling hub is shorter than the feather key.
● The center of gravity of the coupling half should be within the length of the shaft end.
● The coupling used must be prepared for system balancing.
The feather key can fall out
The feather keys are only locked against falling out during shipping. If a machine with two
shaft extensions does not have an output element on one shaft extension, the feather key
can fall out during operation.
Death or serious injury can result.
● If the machine is to be operated without output elements, secure the feather key on the
● To avoid imbalance, for balancing type "H", reduce the weight of the feather key to 60 %
Lifting and transporting the machine
To safely lift and transport the machine, the following requirements must be met:
● Personnel operating cranes and fork-lift trucks must be appropriately qualified.
● If the machine is packed, depending on the weight, size and on-site conditions, lift crates
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 08/2017
machine off the section of feather key protruding from the shaft contour and output element.
Alternatively, ensure that the weights are compensated to achieve the appropriate balance
that the part of the coupling groove where the feather key is not inserted is taken into
consideration when balancing the coupling.
The number of poles of the machine is specified on the rating plate (in the designation of
the motor type).
free shaft extension so that it cannot be flung out.
of the original weight.
and transport frames using a fork-lift truck or a crane with slings. Use a crane or fork-lift
truck suitable for the load.
5.2 Lift the machine to where it will be installed, and position it