Converter input voltage
The insulation system of SIMOTICS machines significantly exceeds the requirements of stress
category C (IVIC C = high stress). If voltage peaks higher than those specified according to
IVIC C can occur, then observe the data in the respective Catalog
● For a line voltage (converter input voltage) up to max. 480 V and operation connected to a
● For line voltages (converter input voltages) higher than 480 V, motors, which are ordered
● Operation with a converter from another manufacturer: Comply with the permissible voltage
Material damage caused by an excessively high supply voltage
The insulation system will be damaged if the supply voltage is too high for the insulation
system. This can completely destroy the machine.
● Comply with the peak voltages as laid down in the guidelines above.
Reducing bearing currents
Taking the following actions will reduce the bearing currents:
● Ensure that the contacts are established over a large area. Solid copper cables are not
Equipotential bonding conductors:
Use equipotential bonding conductors:
● Between motor and driven machine
● Between motor and converter
● Between the terminal box and the RF grounding point at the motor enclosure.
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 08/2017
SINAMICS G / SINAMICS S converter with uncontrolled/controlled infeed: Comply with the
guidelines for configuring motor and converter.
for converter operation, have an appropriate insulation system.
peaks according to IEC 60034-18-41 in accordance with stress category C, dependent on
the particular line voltage (converter input voltage) and the motor insulation system.
suitable for high frequency grounding because of the skin effect.
Preparations for use
4.16 Converter operation