2.7 Processes that generate high levels of electrostatic charge
Risk of explosion due to electrostatic discharge
Electrostatic discharge poses a potential ignition source. Dangerous electrostatic charges
can occur, for example as a result of mechanical friction, flowing air that contains particles -
or persons that are not appropriately grounded, e.g. when carrying out maintenance or
In an explosive atmosphere, there is a risk of an explosion. This can result in death, serious
injury or material damage.
● Avoid carrying out work specified above on non-metallic parts, e.g. foam rubber for noise
● Please comply with ESD protective measures.
Processes that generate high levels of electrostatic charge
Processes that generate high levels of electrostatic charge, which are far higher than those
generated through manual rubbing, include the following:
● Operation of high-voltage electrodes and ionizers
● Presence of high-speed particles on surfaces, e.g. sprayed charges (electron and ion flows)
● Pneumatically conveyed dusts and bulk goods
● Flowing or hydraulically conveyed liquids and drops
● Belts, brushes and foils etc. moved by machines
Risk of explosion as a result of processes with high levels of electrostatic charging
Processes with high levels of electrostatic charging can result in propagating brush discharge/
brushing discharge and explosion
This can result in death, serious injury or material damage.
● Avoid all of these processes in areas where there is risk of gas and dust explosions at
● The non-metallic exposed components, e.g. paint finishes are subject to an electrostatic
in electrostatic coating processes
non-metallic exposed components, e.g. paint finishes. These discharge types are not
addressed in current standards.
suitability test in the factory. When supplied, the motor has its original paint finish.
Use the tested, original paint when repainting or touching up. It is possible to use a paint
that has not been tested by Siemens, which is however suitable from an electrostatic
perspective. The operating company is responsible for carrying out an electrostatic test
of the complete system.
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 08/2017