5.3 Installing the machine
Aligning the machine to the driven machine and attaching it to it (IM B5)
The standard flange is provided with a centering. The choice of fit for the mating flange on the
driven machine is the system manufacturer's or the plant operator's responsibility.
If the machine is not fitted with a standard flange, align the machine to suit the driven
The machine axis must be horizontal when it is lifted and the flange must be parallel to the
mating flange, so as to avoid seizing and stressing. Otherwise damage to the centering will
1. Grease the centering flange with assembly paste to make the process easier.
2. Screw three studs into tapped holes spaced about 120° apart around the driven machine
3. Position the machine so that its axis is aligned with that of the driven machine, but not yet
4. If necessary, rotate the machine into the right position so that the clearance holes in the
5. Move the machine fully up against the mating flange so that it is fully in contact.
6. Fix the machine using the flange fixing bolts, finishing by replacing the studs.
There is a threaded hole M36 at the bottom of the machine where you can fasten the support
● Mount the support base so that no additional mechanical tensions can occur in the housing.
Tightening torques for screw and bolt connections (Page 151)
flange. The studs act as positioning aids.
quite touching. Advance the machine slowly towards the driven machine; advancing too
quickly risks damaging the centering.
flange are central to the tapped holes.
The machine may be damaged by additional mechanical tensions in the housing caused
by incorrect mounting of the support base. The machine or machine parts may loosen
This can result in death, serious injury or material damage.
● Mount the support base so that no additional mechanical tensions can occur in the
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 08/2017