5.1 Preparations for installation
Preparations for installation
Requirements for installation
The following requirements must be satisfied prior to starting installation work:
● Staff have access to the operating and installation instructions.
● The machine is unpacked and ready for mounting at the installation location.
The motor components get very hot during operation. High temperatures can damage
mounting parts such as the cable insulation.
● Temperature-sensitive parts such as normal cables or electronic components must not
● Only use heat-resistant mounting parts. The connecting cables and cable entries must be
Insulation resistance and polarization index
Measuring the insulation resistance and polarization index (PI) provides information on the
condition of the machine. It is therefore important to check the insulation resistance and the
polarization index at the following times:
● Before starting up a machine for the first time
● After an extended period in storage or downtime
● Within the scope of maintenance work
The following information is provided regarding the state of the winding insulation:
● Is the winding head insulation conductively contaminated?
● Has the winding insulation absorbed moisture?
As such, you can determine whether the machine needs commissioning or any necessary
measures such as cleaning and/or drying the winding:
● Can the machine be put into operation?
● Must the windings be cleaned or dried?
Measure the insulation resistance of the winding before starting installation work
Wherever possible, measure the insulation resistance of the winding before starting
installation work. If the insulation resistance lies below the specified value, take appropriate
remedial measures. These remedial measures may necessitate the machine being
removed again and transported.
rest against or be attached to mounted machine parts.
suitable for the ambient temperature.
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 08/2017