Chapter 2. Server setup road map
This chapter provides a general road map to guide you through setting up your server.
The server setup procedure varies depending on the configuration of the server when it was delivered. In
some cases, the server is fully configured. Connect the server to the network and an ac power source, and
then you can turn on the server. In other cases, the server needs to have hardware devices installed, requires
hardware and firmware configuration, and requires an operating system to be installed.
The general procedure for setting up your server is:
1. Unpack the server package. See "Server package" on page 7.
2. Install any required hardware or server option. See the related topic in Chapter 6 "Replacing hardware"
on page 63.
3. Depending on the model, install the server into a standard rack cabinet by using the rail kit shipped
with the server. See Rack Installation Instructions that comes with your server. The rail kit and Rack
Installation Instructions are available on some models.
4. Connect the Ethernet cable and power cords to the server. See "Rear view of the server" on page
22 to locate the connectors.
5. Turn on the server to verify operation. See "Turning on the server" on page 49.
6. Review the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Basic Input Output System (BIOS) settings and
customize as needed. See "Using the Setup Utility program" on page 51.
7. Configure RAID and install the operating system and basic drivers. See "Lenovo ThinkServer
Deployment Manager" on page 14 and "Configuring RAID" on page 58.
8. Install any additional drivers required for added features. Refer to the instructions that come with
the hardware option.
9. Configure Ethernet settings in the operating system by referring to the operating system help. This
step is not required if the operating system was installed using the Lenovo ThinkServer Deployment
10. Check for firmware and driver updates. See "Updating the firmware" on page 61.
11. Install management applications and any other applications. Refer to the documentation that comes
with the applications that you want to install.
© Copyright Lenovo 2014